Question
Posted by: pp | 2010/12/10

maintain

Hi I''ve lost the weight I wanted to loose slowly but now feel good and my bmi is within a very good range..Pls tell me how do I maintain my weight. I am 61 so it is harder. I have lost by eating sensibly and no rubbish but I don''t seem to be able to stop loosing..I don''t want to eat rubbish just want a healthy diet which won''t make me put on weight. Also should the bmi of a 60 year old lady be the same as a 25 year old.. I would have thought a bit of extra weight is good for bone protection..Mine by the way is 21..thank you

Dear PP
Congratulations on losing the weight you wanted to lose slowly and sensibly. Your BMI of 21 is already below the ideal for adult women of all ages, namely 22. If you continue losing weight despite now eating a healthy balanced diet, then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup because unplanned weightloss needs to be investigated to see if there is an underlying physical cause (e.g. overactive thyroid, etc). A healthy, balanced diet would consist of plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5-7 portions a day), lean meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day, whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day) to provide all the nutrients the body requires for good health.

1

Dear PP