Question
Posted by: Caren Biddulph | 2009-11-18

mainetnance running

Hello!
I am currently running 10km at between 45-55minutes, but would like a maintenance programme to keep my fitness up for the next few weeks before I begin training for a half marathon. Any ideas on what a weekly programme (intermediate-advanced) should look like? I run outdoors or at the gym and would prefer to run 4 times a week.
thank you for your time
caren

Hi Caren

Maintenance of fitness is relatively easy - you just keep doing what was done previously, even at a lower level, and the body will not lose fitness. For example, if you're currently running 5 times a week, total of 50 km a week, you can probably get away with cutting down to 3 a week, total of 30km, and you'd still be OK in a few weeks' time.

So my advice is to look at the current training, ask where it is you wish to change things, and then just make sure you don't cut out more than half the training. That's about it. Given that it's only for a few weeks, there is very little you can do to get worse, and so you just have to keep going and in a few weeks' time, you'll be ready to step up to the new programme.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009-11-21

Hi Caren

Reply to fitnessdoc