Question
Posted by: Johan | 2010/09/21

Maine Coon Male - CRF, Diabetes, Skin disorder

I have a 3 year-old Maine Coon male cat. Last year November he was treated for a lower urinary tract blockage - catheter was inserted twice and operation done to wash out his bladder. During this time, the Vet informed me that his kidneys and liver had suffered some damage, although I took him to the Vet within 12 hours of noticing he had trouble peeing. CRF was subsequently diagnosed by the Vet.

He was doing okl after the treatment, was put on Hills Science Diet K/D &  Royal Canin Renal kibbles (although he wouldn''t eat much of the K/D). I then noticed that he began losing a lot of weight, which I attributed to the fact that he wasn''t he wasn''t getting enough protein. I then started feeding him normal supermarket pouches (Friskies, Whiskas, Fancy Feast) or anything that he would at least eat, because I am of the opinion that he should at least eat, instead of starving himself. He also enjoyed cooked chicken breast and cooked scrambled eggs from time to time.

I took him to the Vet once every two months to test the protein level of his urine and for a general check-up. Although his protein levels were normal, his glucose levels were abnormaly high. Also whilst having a ravenous apetite, he would still not pick up weight....

Ever since the diagnosis, he would get these sores on his body, one or two at a time, which he would keep on licking and scratching to such a point that it was one huge hole and you could see the flesh under his skin. These would then usually take up to a month to heal completely after being cleaned by the Vet.

On Sunday night, he managed open up a new sore on his left shoulder that was at least 6cm wide. I bandaged and dressed the wound as best as I could and took him to the Vet Monday morning. He was put under anesthesia and the vet stitched up his wound and dressed it again.

On Monday night when I took him home, he was still very groggy from the anesthesia, and just slept the entire night. On Tuesday morning, he still had the groggy look, wobbly on his feet, and his eyes looked as if he was still half-sleeping. I took him to the Vet again and he was put on a drip.

Could the CRF have anything to do with these sores? Diabetes hasn''t been diagnosed yet, but his glucose urine level was 21. Could he have diabetes as well? Could the sores be caused by the diabetes maybe? Are the foods that I''m feeding him causing him harm (cooked chicked breast and cooked scrambled eggs)?

I''ve had my Vet do a welness bloodtest today, of which the results are expected tomorrow.

Apologies for the long post. Please can you recommend any treatment at all - other than what we''ve already done? I''ve done as much research on the net as I can, but feel a bit overwhelmed.

Your response will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Johan

Hi Johan

Sorry to here about your cats problems.

It is difficult to say what the underlying problem(s) is/are without doing a full clinical examination and diagnostic evaluation (haematology/biochemistry/urine analysis/feline viral status/ +/-X-rays/+/-ultrasound. Please note that Maine Coon's are prone to a condition called Polycystic kidney disease.

Await the results and then forwad me an email with the results and I will try and direct you to what the clinican diagnosis

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/22

Hi Johan

Sorry to here about your cats problems.

Reply to CyberVet