Question
Posted by: Shirley | 2012-08-14

Magnesium supplement

I have painful legs and suffer from cramp in the night. I take Menacal 7, should I also supplement with Magnesium, and if so, how much?

Dear Shirley
There is at present no consensus about the use of calcium, magnesium and potassium to treat cramps, unless you have been tested for deficiencies in these minerals. Some authorities insist that leg cramps are caused if the patient does not do sufficient stretching exercises, so you could try doing stretching exercises before going to bed and when you get up in the morning. If you do use a magnesium supplement then do not take more than 1 x the Nutrient Reference Value for Magnesium of 420 mg per day.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-08-15

Dear Shirley