Posted by: ethel | 2009-02-23

Macrovascular fat changes.

Dear Doc.
A year ago, I had a Nissen Repair. (Hiatus surgery), over the year after the op, I lost 15kg. In December last year a 9cm mass was detected in my liver. I had a laproscopy with biopsys, which only showed macrovascular fatty changes in the liver, and then had a laprodectomy and more biopsys taken, which just confirmed the same again. My doctor says I have prominent Macrovascular fatty changes in the liver. He said they were going to keep a very close eye on me. I will have regular blood tests, as I also had a tumour marker test which showed 27.6, it should of been between 0-6. and he will do regular CT Scans. Nothing has been explained in plain language to me. What exactly is macrovascular fatty changes in the liver? Is it of concern? I dont know wether he is just concerned about the slightly elevated tumour reading or about the biopsy result. Please can you explain. Many thanks

Dear Ethel
Macrovascular fatty liver is when fat accumulates in the liver cells, pushing the cell nucleus to one side ( it then looks like a signet ring on microscopy) These cells can not work as they should, they can develop inflammation, cells may die and scar tissue can form in the liver, causing permanent liver damage. There is a small risk that cancer can develop in this area (10%) This is also associated with diabetes and fat metabolic disorders, leading to heart attacks and strokes, so you need to check your blood sugar and cholesterol regularly and eat a healthy low fat, high fibre, low sugar diet.