Question
Posted by: Birdie | 2009-06-24

Macaw with bad lungs - vicks

My parrot macaw apparently must of had a severe lung infection when it was a baby. As a result you can hear him wheeze at times. His lungs do tend to be sluggish when it becomes cold. Sometimes he also coughs and sneezes a lot.

The vet has informed me that there is nothing you can do for him as there is no cure. He has been living like this for years. I have started putting vicks vapour rub in a cup of boiling water at the bottom of his cage at night, with the blanket closed. This seems to help during the bad times like very cold winter nights.

Is there any harm in doing this?

Dear Birdie

I have no idea.

2
Posted by: Cheryl | 2009-06-29

Remember that Parrots, Macaws etc respond to the same type of diet as humans do. He needs a good variety of food and good nutrition. We tend to make the mistake of giving birds too many seeds. The avian vet that I take my African Grey to told me that giving bigger breeds of birds seeds as their main meal is equivalent to humans drinking pure oil as this is exactly what seeds are.

Apparently certain seeds can cause allergies and " clog"  up the sinuses - are you sure it' s his lungs and not a blocked nose? '  Poor dude, I don' t know what advise to give and I know how sad it is when our pets are not feeling well. Did you take him to a regular vet or one that specialises in birds etc.?

Reply to Cheryl
Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-25

Be careful with human remedies - some unexpected things can actually be quite toxic to birds.

Having said that, it sounds like quite a good idea in principle - have you thought of discussing this with your vet, and asking if a nebuliser might help?

Reply to Chill