Posted by: jo | 2009-03-18

mabthera treatment

i started a new treatment called mabthera via infusion last week, due to have the second next week. i have suffered with RA for 23 years and have had any possible treatment available, which included revelex, had a severe reaction, then humira, which also resulted in a reaction, now as a last resort and many months of waiting, finally was approved. I am on 8x 2.5mg methotrixate tabs a week, 3 x 5mg prednisone tabs a day, which I have been taking for the last 15 years, dose depending on the sev of my RA. My phycician has not told me much about this treatment, can you tell me what to expect and what is the treatment exactly.

Dear Jo
Mabthera is a monoclonal antibody. This is a protein ( antibody) that binds to a specific receptor (area) on the surface of a specific type of white blood cell called a B cell. The antibody causes the death of the B cells, reducing the number of B cells in the body. B cells trigger the abnormal inflammatory response that causes the damage and symptoms of RA. Because it is "targeted treatment" (works only on the B cells) unlike metothrexate, it is not toxic to any of the other blood cells and does not affect your immunity otherwise. Side effects are allergic reaction to the infusion, dizziness, hypertension, sore throat.