Question
Posted by: mbalenhle | 2011/02/21

mabenann@eskom.co.za

Goodday,

Am worried about my 8yrs old daughter she weight 44,5kg, she is active, likes to play and run, she sweats a lot, and drinks enough liquid. she eats smaller meal portion and snacks a lot. my concern is her weight i feel its too much for her age, her dressing size is 13-14 twice her age. please advice what needs to be done. your advice will be highly appreciate.

Hi Mbalenhle

The range of "optimal weight" for an 8 year old girls is between 20 and 40kg, so she is over that.

It's difficult to know the reasons - it could be activity, it could be diet, it could be genetic or some other condition (hormonal).

The most likely, and therefore the first thing you should look at is her diet. I know she eats small portions, but if she snacks a lot, that could be the problem. And what does active mean, really? Because the main driver of overweight is inactivity and diet, and it may be that she is still inactive relative to what she is eating. Snacking on junk food quickly adds up - a bag of chips here, even fruit juice, a chocolate, and that's a lot of energy, and if someone is not super active, it's too much.

So my advice - see a dietician. Obviously, you need to handle this with great sensitivity, because you can create a stigma at the age of 8, very damaging.

But I'd see a dietician, you and her together, and then you need to control what she eats, when she eats and start to adopt healthy options for the whole family, so she can take her lead from you.

If that doesn't work, of if the dietician decides, based on a history, that there is more to be done re medical history, then go with that. But a dietician is your first port of call!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/27

Hi Mbalenhle

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc