Question
Posted by: Nic | 2012/03/19

Lyrica

Hello sweet doctor. Can you offer any advise on Lyrica please ? I suffer from extreme anxiety and my phychiatrist has just put me on this - started small dose of 25mg x 2 per day to begin with building up to 75mg in a week or so''s time. He wants me to take it with Espiride (which really does work for me)...(have tried numerous other anti-anxiety/depressants which do not do anything). I just dont understand why I have to take both of them if they both help with the same thing. Any problems with taking them both together? Many many thanks.

I have not heard of anyone having experience of using Lyrica ( Pregabalin is its chemical name ) combined with Espiride in treating Anxiety, Presumably your psychiatrist either knows such research or work or is otherwise satisfied that the combination will be safe and effective. You really need to discuss this with him. I haven't seen reports of this combination ; the adverse interactions reported so far have been with benzo tranquillizers, alcohol, and opioid painkillers.
Its not at all uncommon to take two meds which are both able to help in a particular condition - often they work in different ways, so their benefits could be additive rather than contradictory.
Pregabalin is primarily an anticonvulsant drug used in treating epilepsy and severe neuropathic pain, but it has also been found to be effective in generalized Anxiety Disorder, and approved for that use in Europe. IT seems to have a low potential for producing dependency and abuse, unlike some other drugs popular in treating anxiety.

2
Posted by: MATHILDA COETZEE | 2012/04/12

I saw my doctor in regards with trigemanal neuralgia and migraine. Can the neuralgia cause the migraine as well? My dr prescribed Lyrica 75mg twice daily for three days, then one per day for three days and 1 every alternate day for a week. It works very well since I have no pain when I take one twice daily. Why is it necessary to reduce the intake to every alternate day?

Reply to MATHILDA COETZEE