Posted by: Wit' s end | 2008-11-13

I'  ve got a son 10 years of age - We'  ve taken him to phsycologist, psychiatrist and "  arbeidsterapeute"  for assistance but no luck - When he goes for the treatments he would be the "  perfec"  son and they will find nothing wrong - He stole over R3000.00 in the last year where he admitted guilt from the school (photo money, tour money, kids pocket money etc.) He stole a lot of money out of our wallets in the past year - he dodges the alarm to steel from the kitchen at night - he lies with a straight face, manupulates and cries a lot to make you feel sorry for him - next day he will steal and lie again. We tried with the school to assist in searching his bag every morning and afternoon when he goes home but he stopped going to the principal'  s office. He is too young to go to Boys Town - we have no clue what to do here - HELP !!!!

One major puzzle is what he wanted R 3000 for, and where it went to, especially ay his age. ANd I'm disappointed ion the specialists you took him to, if they allowed him to fool them so easily, and didn't give you useful advice on this problem. He sounds psychopathic, and a fgood shrink ought to be able to recognize that and diagnose it.
Searching him each day with your consent makes sense, and it shouldn't be up to him to choose whether or not to go to the Principal's office. And obviously, no money should be left around at home. And revise your burglar alarm so it WILL go off when he sneaks around at night. Drugs is a possibility one would want to consider and rule out. And maybe next time he steals something, maybe call the police to investigate ( they should have been called in in regard to the school thefts ) and let them at least scare him into recognizing that he won't get away with this every time. And seek out a less naive shrink who will assess him properly, taking into account, as he must, all the reports from you and the school.

Posted by: Nozi | 2008-11-13

Sporry but this is a sad and depressed boy, he is looking for attention.Dont you thinking making this a public show is just making him more stubborn and embassed? I think you doing it the wrong way, food is a comfort as mom is now against him and he is too scared to talk, his also very depressed..I had a similiar problem,I sat my eleven year old down and had a good chat with him, he was bullied in school and needed money to entertain the bullies, who came from wealthy families and teased him about not having money every day, money meaning hundreds not rands R10 or R20 see some children are very cruel they tease and make others steal for them in order for them to be part of a group.

Reply to Nozi
Posted by: Fifi | 2008-11-13

What does he do with the money? is he not maybe on drugs? some kids start as early as that hey...

Reply to Fifi