Posted by: butch | 2008-11-12

I just found out that my german sheperd has lupus - I have taken her to the vet and she has put her onto q-zones for the rest of her life -she is ten years old -can anyone recomend any herbal medicine that I can give her -she is still very active and alert

Dear Butch

Other good immuno suppressive drugs available but I do not know of any herbal ones.

Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-13

So? There are specialists up there too - phone Onderstepoort if you want to find out where.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: butch | 2008-11-13

thank you for all your info - but Chill sorry i am in gauteng

Reply to butch
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2008-11-13

OMG WTF- that sounds so horrible... i' m sorry....and ya knowledge is power thus i will read up on this....

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s mom
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-12

There are various types of lupus - I' m assuming you mean the systemic one? (ChivazMom: it' s an autoimmune disease, where the body literally ' attacks'  itself)

First, I wouldn' t suggest messing around with too many herbal things without reference to the vet treating the dog - people often make the mistake of thinking that because herbs are natural, they' re harmless - this is not always the case and you don' t want to inadvertently make things worse, or interfere with the workings of the drugs the dog is on.

Having said that, some people recommend preparations containing shark cartilage, available from health food stores. Talk to your vet and see what she says.

I' d also recommend that you read up as much as possible about the condition - you' ll find loads of info on Google, just don' t fall for all the sales talk from sites that want to sell you stuff. However, knowledge is power, and this will help you assess not only the dog, but also the treatment she' s on. There are also specialist vets, some of whom employ ' alternative'  healing methods - if this is of interest to you, you could make some enquiries at your own vet. If you' re in Cape Town, you could request a referral to the specialists at the Cape Animal Medical Centre in Rosmead Ave, Claremont - they' re truly excellent - but pricey!

Best of luck with your dog - I imagine you must be very concerned.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chivaz' s Mom | 2008-11-12

sorry to hear... may i ask what is lupus???

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s Mom