Posted by: A | 2009-05-31

Lung problems

My husband is getting ill every year. He has short breath, symptoms of a cold, like fever. But is not feeling ill. runnng nose. lots of yellow mucus a sore chest. trouble breathing. stays ill for the whole winter. Used antiboitics takes vitamins. Have been to lung doctors. Also been to a nose throught and ear specialist. also to a homeopath. Used special diets. Tried every thing. Also experience a ver blocked nose and blood in fluids coming out of nose and throught. We do not know what to do anymore. He is normally the rest of the year very healthy and is very fit. He cycles proffesionally and also does triatlons. We would really like to get a solution. He also suffer with very bad sinusitus. Can you maybe help us

Dear A
It sounds to me as if he may be getting a chronic sinusitis ( could be secondary to an allergy for smoke or grass or just the dry air) I suggest that he be tested for allergy ( IgE blood test) - if the levels are very elevated he may need to use an antihistamine like Deselex and a cortisone nosespray. If he is short of breath he should probably also have a lung function test to check for allergic asthma as he may need to use preventative medication. The best doctor to see for this is probably a physician with an interest in lung diseases.