Question
Posted by: tiekie | 2008/09/26

Lung function - painful legs

I am 61 plus (woman) - Want to loose 15kg. - walk 3km (fast) with some jogging inbetween 4 times a week. I get tired very easy trying to jog (breahtless and my legs are very painful afterwards.) Also have mortons Neuroma left foot - I use Nike sport shoes . What can I do to increase my lung function for jogging? Why are my legs so painful (from knee downwards)?

Simple answer - training. That's unsatisfactory, I know, but the only way to improve how your body works is to train it and "stress it" until you develop it to the point where it adapts and you get stronger, fitter and better able to run without this problem. That is a long process, you must be patient, but it's the only way. As for the leg pain, that's difficult, in fact impossible, to diagnose, and I really would be guessing if I said I knew. It might be that you are suddenly training and not adapting to the training - perahps you need to decrease to 2km a day instead of 3, or possibly do less jogging. I don't know enough to answer that one for you...

My advice is that you should probably back off the trainign al ittle - I would guess that you've possibly started too fast, and this has caused the injury. I think that if you back off, you'll adapt and the problem will go away.