Posted by: Lung Capacity | 2010-11-19

Lung Capacity

Hi there, I hope this is the correct way to go about this. Apologies if it is not. I just want to know what is the best exercise to improve lung capacity and fitness.

I can walk incline 15 and speed 4 on a treadmill for 15 to 20 minutes - and I am out of breath but can still control my breathing. However, when I hike, I really struggle on the inclines - as in loose my breath completely.

Should I just keep my incline 15 and walk faster, then when I loose my breath lower the incline till I recover? I am a chronic asthmatic and severly overweight (however, I am on a diet and am loosing quite significant amounts of weight). And, sadly, I smoke. Thank you for your help.

To increase your lung capacity, you should stop smoking and consult your doctor for a lung function test to determine if your asthma medication is optimal. Swimming is the best exercise to increase lung capacity.