Posted by: Anon | 2013-01-21

Lung and heart

I am a 67 year old women who was diagnosed with sarcodosis of the lung in 2009. I had a biosy done and had three cuts and a cardiac surgeon performed the biopsy and the results indicated sacodosis. My specialist then sent the results off to another specialist who did not agree with the results. However I was put on steriods and my cughing went away. On doing my last x-ray my lung was totally clear.

I recently started coughing again and had an MRI done which showed that all my organs where in great condition. The coughing continued and I went back and an X-Ray was done which the dr said showed an infiltration and that I should have another biopsy in March and an ecg done to see if my heart is not affected.

I want to know if the MRI was clear why did the X-RAY show something else and is it a good idea to undergo another biopsy just because im coughing.

Im really confused and scared!

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Anon

Thanks for your query. I passed it on to a very good local pulmonologist, whose comments are as follows:

a. MRI is not a good test for assessing pathology in the lung, which may explain why the chest x-ray showed an infiltrate whereas the MRI showed “your organs were all in great condition”.

b.Your current infiltrate may be a recurrence of sarcoidosis, but of course it is possible it has a different pathology.

Our joint advice is that you should arrange to see a lung specialist in your area. I am sure your general practitioner can refer you to the right person.

I hope things go better.

Best wishes.