Question
Posted by: Pat Ferrandi | 2011-07-25

Lunch hour - a right or a favour?

started at job with let of appt - hours 7am - 1pm. Hours evolved over time to Mon to Friday 7am - 4pm with no lunch hour. Requested lunch hour in December 2010. Request answered in July 2011. Now am being told that It is a favour as they have not deducted the hour a day from my salary - which was ajusted to new working hours (never updated in any document form and subsequently adjusted to comply with national suggested salary scale for my profession (veterinary nurse). Is this lunch hour a right in accordance with labour act, or can they in fact reduce my salary by an hour a day and imply they are doing me a favour by not doing so

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Lunch hour - a right or a favour

There is a right, a lunch hour after 5 hours work.

2
Posted by: Mark | 2011-07-29

Its a right,according to the BCEA, My advice is to join a good strong union,I pay around R200 to a union, and its worth every cent and more.

Reply to Mark
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2011-07-29

re: Lunch hour - a right or a favour

Reply to labour lawyer