Question
Posted by: Adam | 2010/09/27

Lumpy feeling in throat

Hello doc

I have been having a funny feeling in my throat for way over a month now and I am going through a very stressful period.

These are my symptoms:

- Feels like a lump in the throat.
- The feeling is the same as when one''s tie is too tight.
- The lump comes and goes all the time. When I wake up in the morning there is nothing, but throughout the day it appears again.
- Eating makes the feeling go away for a short while.

It started with a feeling where it felt as if my food took a while before it moved down the oesophagus after swallowing. That disappeared and then the symptoms above appeared.

What can I take for this? Is it some sort of spasm? By any chance something serious?

Thank you.

Hallo Adam
It could be an esophagus spasm due to stress but it may also be an enlarged thyroid, so I think your doctor should have a look. If he thinks it is an esophagus spasm, an antispasmodic and anti-anxiety medication may be necessary. If you are a smoker or have heartburn, you may need to have a gastroscopy to see if you have acid reflux that may be irritating the esophagus.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/27

Hallo Adam