Question
Posted by: Lucinda | 2011/03/08

Lumps in her teats

Hi there. My Cat recently had a litter (gave birth 7 weeks ago) and the last kitten was sukkling till two weeks ago. But now her there are big lumps all around her teats. I think they hurt as she doesnt allow me to touch it. They not red and they do not feel hot but she keeps licking them. Is there anything i can do or give her to take that swelling away?

Answer:

It is quite normal for female animals to have persistent enlarged mammary areas after lactation. These swelling should however subside within 2-4 weeks after the offspring have stopped suckling from the mother. This is a normal process and will normally happen without any medical intervention. It might help to use cold packs (ice wrapped in a small towel) on the mammary areas. However should mastitis (infection) develop, then you are correct to look for redness, warmth, pain and possibly a discharge in those areas. Further clinical signs would be a fever and loss of appetite. So should these signs develop, I would strongly advise you to seek veterinary attention as soon as possible.

1
Posted by: Cybervet | 2011/03/08

Answer:

Reply to Cybervet