Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2009-07-23

Lumps in Groin

Hi Dr. Bets

I mentioned to my mom that she may need to have a biopsy on those lumps taken (since it has been over a year now since they were diagnosed as inflammation and her hip replacement was successful i.e. maybe they would have disappeared as promised).

She went ballistic (as expected) telling me to have a needle stuck in my groin first ha!ha! Her temper is alive and well.

How painful is this and would a Specialist Physician or a normal GP be able to do it?

Is the biopsy 100% conclusive?

If they were cancerous, is this what you call lymph cancer?

If not, do they just leave them? They said they would go away and as you know they have not. In the second breath we were told they can go cancerous.

I feel a year is too long (and that includes the 7 months post-hip replacement).

I manage the medical aid and my mom' s life pretty much since my father died hence I feel I would rather see to it now than have a drama situation.

She says she will tell me when to book which is fine. I think she is afraid of the biopsy result because she has a very high pain threshold and I think that is an excuse. Not that it won' t be sore I am sure.

I can feel them through the skin and deeper down if press. Our little dog jumped on her lap and she nearly went through the roof so I believe it is time to do something, prevention being better than cure.

We fortunately don' t have cancer in our family although we do have a few other nasty things!

Hi Tracey
They can do a needle biopsy, where they try to draw fluid from the gland, but usually it is easier just to make a small cut under local anaesthetic and remove one to send to the pathologist for a proper examination. A surgeon would be the right person to see for this.