Question
Posted by: worried | 2009-11-09

Lumpectomy

I am 28 and had a mammogram and ultra sound to look at a lump I found in my one breast. It was diagnosed to most likely be a fibroadenoma, as there was nothing in my results to suggest otherwise. The lump is about 3cm, and the radiologist and my GP have recommended that I have it removed because of its size, and also to be on the safe side.

What can I expect if it comes to a lumpectomy? Is it a day procedure, or will I have to stay overnight? The lump is close to the nipple, and reasonably close to the surface - what type of scarring will I have? Will my breast be deformed?

If there' s anybody on the forum who has had the procedure, I' d really appreciate any information you can give me!

Thank you...

Hallo Worried
It depends on how much it bleeds, if they need to put a drain in they may want to keep you overnight. They make the incision on the line of the areola, so scarring is not really an issue - it is hardly noticable. Your breast will probably not be deformed unless you have small breasts and removing the 3cm mass will make a big difference in size of the breast?

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-11-09

Hallo Worried

Reply to cyberdoc