Posted by: Mom | 2009-05-28

Lump/boney obtrusion on back of wrist

My 16 year old daughter has a lump on the back of her wrist, it almost looks as though a bone may be in the wrong place! Do I take her to a orthopedic surgeon, or a hand specialist? Thanks

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Mom
It is probably a ganglion cyst that usually occurs on the tendons attached to the little joints in the hands or feet bones. It is totally benign and in the old days people believed that bumping the lump with a heavy book like the Bible ruptured the cyst and the fluid was then absorbed into the surrounding tissue. It usually is asymptomatic, but can also be painful. The cyst can be managed by aspiration with a needle or excision of the cyst - it can however recur.
Take her to your GP for an evaluation and he can then refer her if necessary. Sometimes the ganglions also disappear on their own.