Posted by: Sally | 2009-03-17

Lump under tongue

Last night it felt as if my tongue was torn underneath. On inspecting the underside of my tongue in the mirror I saw a lump that looked like a blood blister (approx. 0.5 x 0.5cm). This remained there for a couple of hours (about 4 hours) and then just disappeared. I now have an irritating feeling there and what looks like a lesion (red with a white central spot) where the blister was. What can this be and what would cause such a blister? I never ate anything or bit my tongue prior and i am concerned as I smoke?

Dear Sally
Treat this with Kenalog in orobase for a few days - if it does not clear up in about 3-4 days, let your doctor have a look to see if you need to be referred to a specialist?