Posted by: sonskyn | 2008-11-05

lump on hand

my 1yr woke up this morning with a lump at his wrist I went to see a doctor as my regular doctor was not in he said that it look like a sist but that he has never seen in in such a small child he said to wait 10 days if it continues to grow i need to come back now my question is what causes the sist and arent they normally cancerous

Hallo Sonskyn
This is probably a ganglion, it is not cancer. It is caused by a weak spot in the covering of the tendon ( the tendon is lubricated by fluid and if the covering has a weak spot, it tends to fill up with fluid like a balloon). If it is not painful, you don't even have to do anything about it. If it gets bigger, or sore, they sometimes remove it surgically but it can recur.

Posted by: j | 2008-11-05

nothing stop you to get 2nd opinion!

Reply to j