Posted by: mb | 2009-04-30

Lump on cat' s cheek

My one year old male cat got into a scrap recently and had a couple of bad wounds, so we took him to the vet who gave him an anti-inflamatory shot and a course of antibiotics. The night after he finished the course, he had a puncture wound on his cheek from presumably a claw, which caused the entire cheek to swell up. We took him to the vet again, who gave him another shot but said not to worry as the wound had simply filled with serum and wasn' t infected, due to the fact that he' d been on the antibiotics.
A few days later the swelling had gone down and formed a hard lump on the side of his face, so we took him back again. The vet said it was a " granuloma"  (I THINK that' s what he called it??), and drained it with a needle. He gave us some ketofen, and said it should help bring it down a bit. He also said that it would refill everytime we drain it, so there would almost be no point. (it refilled mere hours after he' d drained it)
The problem is, it' s very uncomfortable for the cat, and he has trouble chewing his dry food. We' re feeding him soft food for now, but is there a way to get rid of this thing other than just waiting it out? Would it be safe to try and drain it at home, and how would we do it?

Dear mb

If it is still open I would suggest to clean it twice a day with hibiscrub.