Question
Posted by: Cheeky | 2009-01-23

Lump inside vagina

Please help. I have been to see my doctor she has discovered I have a hernia in the Vaginal passage.She sent me to see my Gynae, who says that I will have to have an operation to lift the bladder, as it has somehow collapsed into the Rectal passage and to have it repaired using a special silicone mesh, however there are only a handfull of Doctors that can perform this procedure and it is very, very painful.I had a Birchcolpo Suspension done 18 years ago, do u think that due to a fall that I had recently that I could have done any damage ?and how is this mesh fitted?I am confused and honestly have been through enough this past year and if I am able to avoid any further surgery I will .I am experiencing pain in the bladder and also pains down the back of my legs. Could this also be the affect of the so called Hernia ? I would honestly appreciate any advise you can give.

I doubt that the fall had anything to do with it. If you had the Burch procedure before, it means that you are prone to prolapse, which you have again. The operation would involve something similar to the Burch procedure. Sometimes it is done totally vaginally and sometimes from the abdomen as well. The person doing the procedure would have to decide what is best in your situation. This is not life threatening, so you do not need to have surgery unless you have symptoms. Your bladder and leg pain could be due to this. However, other causes such as infections should be excluded.