Question
Posted by: Daleen Vuyk | 2011/04/14

Lump in throat feeling

Good day,

I have been having a ''lump in the throat'' sensation the last 2-3 weeks. I have been on thyroid meds for the last 17 years but recently went to see another doctor who put me on additional assistance for my thyroid as being on 2 x .1mg eltroxin a day for the last 17 years, I barely reached the minimum required reading. I don''t know if this could be connected to my thyroid or whether it''s to do with something else. Feels like something''s stuck. I have been obese since being a toddler. Thank you,

Hallo Daleen
Because the thyroid is located in front of your windpipe and your esophagus is behind the windpipe, a thyroid must be quite big to put pressure on the esophagus. An underactive thyroid can sometimes cause this feeling but it sounds as if you are taking more medication than previously. The quickest way to find out if there is something wrong is to see a gastroenterologist who will do a gastroscopy to see if there are any signs of narrowing or growths in the esophagus. Your GP can refer you.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/14

Hallo Daleen