Posted by: Tammy | 2011-03-23

Lump in throat

Im a 28 year old female that recently consulted my doctor about a " lump in throat"  and " chest pressure"  feeling...

i am currently under a lot of stress and pressure (tons going on in life - lots of changes). My doctor has put me on xanor sr 1.0mg (x2/day) and paxil 20 (x1/day). THis has relieved my chest pressure but the lump in my throat is still there.

Sometimes it comes and goes but mostly it feels like its constant... I have no history of cancer in my family, nor am i a smoker/ drinker/ substance abuser.

I have been on the meds for a week now - should i be worried about the lump or do i need to give the meds more time??

The lump is located above my breast bone where my collar bones meet (in that ''intersection'') - it feels like ive swallowed food/ a capsule that has just got stuck (but its not)...

any advice before i head back to my doc? Should i be worried???

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Tammy

You are clearly under a lot of stress, and should give your medication some time. Your social history does not put you in the highrisk group for tumours in that area, but if your symptoms do not improve, it may be wise to get an ENT opinion to exclude a mass lesion in the area that you are describing. This is to give you peace of mind, as you are worried about other possibilities. A normal examination is just as important in your case, and I do recommend that you go back to your doctor. The examination should include an indirect laryngoscopy, and a possible barium swallow if your symotoms wattant this. These investigations can be organised and performed by an ENT surgeon.