Posted by: Madelaine | 2011-10-25

lump in my throat

I had my tonsils removed on Tuesday the 2nd of August 2011, 10 days later I was rushed back to theatre with a post-op bleed, and since then I felt this knob in my throat. I went back to my ENT and he told me that it was scabs and will take 6 weeks to heal properly.

8 Weeks later I was back, and he then told me that I have “ globes pharynges” , caused by the tube that was put down the airway to prevent the blood from going into my lungs during the procedure, and this damaged the airway, but will eventually go away. He prescribed a cortisone inhaler and nexiam to keep any reflux down cause that could make it worse.

3 Days later my mouth was full of thrush, I could not get hold of my ENT, and saw someone else, he then treated me for the thrush, and said I must stop the cortisone immediately, and also told me that the knob will eventually go away, If I stress less, and stop clearing my throat all the time.

He prescribed nystacid oral rinse, which cleared the thrush. I went back to my ENT on the 30th of September and insisted on an X-Ray (Barium Swallow) of which I’ ve attached the report, see above. He again told me that everything seems normal, and I suffer from reflux went I lie down at night, and this aggravate the “ knob” , he prescribed a 3 month repeat for nexiam.

This is now a month later, and I do not feel any better, some days is worse that others. I went to see my GP yesterday and asked him to please help me, because this problem is affecting my whole life, my marriage, my personality everything!!!! He referred me to a different ENT this time for an ultra sound or CT scan and I have an appointment to see him on Friday 28 October @ 11h00am, and I hope and pray that this will be the end of it.

I am 36 years old, and currently taking Serlife (Anti-depressants) after post natal depression was diagnosed 18 months ago.

Please any advice will be greatly appreciated.

In addition to your appointment with another ENT specialist, I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for a gastroscopy and repeat barium meal. It is possible that you are suffering from severe gastric reflux, which aggrevates your symptoms. In the interim, you can try Gaviscon, three times daily before meals.

I also suggest that you ask your doctor for a possible replacement drug to Serlife, as this can cause dyspepsia, which can cause severe gastric reflux.

Please provide me with feedback.