Posted by: uncertain | 2009-04-23

Lump in left breast

I' m 27 years old, and haven' t really been doing self breast exams, mostly because I didn' t really know how. Last night I saw a program on TV in which someone demonstrated on a mannequin how you would do one, so I did one last night.
I found a small lump in my left breast. It moves around when I press on and around it, and according to some stuff I read on the internet that means it' s probably just a cyst.
It' s now less than a week before my period - is it true that it is normal to get cysts just before / during your period?

At which point should I consult a doctor about this? Should this go away at some point? Or could it just be a normal part of my breast that I' m unfamiliar with?

(No strong history of breast cancer in my family, btw...)

Thank you!!

Dear Uncertain
If it is movable, it probably is a fibroadenoma (enlarged normal gland tissue). Once a year if you go for your Papsmear, ask your doctor to check the breasts too. It is always better to do the self exam AFTER your menstruation as the breasts tend to be lumpy just before menstruation due to the hormone levels. If this lump gets waxes and wanes with your cycle, does not grow bigger or does not feel like it is "stuck" to surrounding tissue, it is probably not cancerous. You could maybe just see your GP after your menstruation for a baseline examination of the breasts so that he/she knows what to follow up on in future

Posted by: uncertain | 2009-04-23

Thank you! :)

Reply to uncertain