Question
Posted by: Judy | 2008/08/26

Lump in back

I have a lump in my lower back, almost near the bones by your backside. It doesn' t feel like a knot. It' s almost soft and when I touch it it moves around. I' m a bit worried about it and would like to see a doc but not sure what type of doc to go to. My medical aid is finished so don' t want to waste money being referred from one doc to the next. Any idea what it could be and what type of doc to go and see. It' s a little bit smaller than a 50 cent piece. My back has also started aching a bit.

Hi Judy
If it is movable ( feels like a firm nodule that you can move under the skin ) it probably is a lipoma, a harmless tumour of fat tissue. The pain is probably not due to this as they normally cause no symptoms. Your GP can have a look as it is rarely needed to remove this.