Posted by: Col | 2012-11-27

Lump at back of head

Hi - my sister-in-law in the Seychelles went to Thailand on business and had an MRI of the head done while she was there and unfortunately only received the results once she arrived back in the Seychelles. She has been having pain on the left side of her head from the front to the back and a slight lump can also be felt at the back left of her head which is also sore to the touch. The MRI results show that they found "  a 0.6cm pineal cyst with turbid content abutting superior copect of the tectal plate" . Is this serious and how urgently should it be attended to? She is thinking of visiting SA to follow-up. Who should she consult - a Neurologist, Neuro-Surgeon, or another Specialist? Thank-you.

Unfortunately, I am not a neurosurgeon and I suggest that she consults one in South Africa for an opinion and treatment. A pineal gland cyst is benign and not cancerous. They are prevalent in at least 25% of people whom will display no symptoms at all. A larger pineal cyst can cause headaches, visual disturbance, as well as sleep disturbance.