Question
Posted by: Carrie | 2009-06-29

? Lump

Hi I am a South African and have just moved to France. My dogs went for vaccinations etc for pet passorts and the vet found a little lump under my dogs skin. it does feel as though it may be attached to the skin, so it' s not completely round and mobile. she said we should watch it to see how it grows ( at least that' s what i think she said - my french is appalling !) it does seem to have popped up in a very short space of time, and now seems to be growing quite quickly. surely this is too fast for cancer ? I know I should go back to the vet, but am battling with communication. how long is it safe to monitor it for before it becomes a problem? i thought i might give it a week before we go back to her ( with my handy phrase book). we were out in the forest, so i thought perhaps he might have a bite or gotten a little nick from a thorn perhaps and now it' s irritated, although i can' t find any obvious puncture site.

Dear Carrie

Impossible to advise you on this. It can be a fatty lump or cancer.

5
Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-01

Unless something is radically different, a week should be fine.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carrie | 2009-07-01

hm, i think my post has been misunderstood. I do plan to go back to the vets without a doubt, I am just wondering whether a week is a safe period to leave it for, or whether I should go back sooner?

Reply to Carrie
Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-30

Nobody can tell you for sure what the lump is, but by far the majority of lumps are quite harmless so I wouldn' t be too worried. Watch it and if something changes, go back to the vet. Chances are it' s either a little cyst, or some minor infection from a thorn or bite, which will either burst or resolve itself.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carrie | 2009-06-30

gosh...the lump is under his skin in the side of his belly so not too near bones or cartilage, but i guess i' m not the vet !

Reply to Carrie
Posted by: Borzoi mom | 2009-06-30

Hi Carrie - my Borzoi developed cartlige cancer and my was it fast! Literally from one day to the next the lump had doubled in size. My vet treated it as best he could and we managed to keep her going for almost 2 years (great vet!) but then her quality of life was not so good so we made the final visit. Can you not get an interpreter to help - a French animal lover who will translate for you?

Reply to Borzoi mom