Posted by: M | 2009-01-06

Lumbarization of the first sacral verteb

An orthopaedic surgeon diagnosed me with a lumbarisation of the first sacral vertebrae when I went to him because of back pain after having hurt my back while doings squats in the gym. The pain is not very intense and spreads to either side of my hips (in a horizontal line). I don’ t have any other pain anywhere else (like legs, feet etc). I’ ve stopped doing squats altogether to give my lower back a rest. The pain however doesn’ t go away and I can feel it when I work around the house or garden (especially when I hyperextend my spine). What else can I do to alleviate the pain? Is complete rest the only thing I can do, or should I do some back exercises as a physio recommended? Doctors and physios normally contradict each other when it comes to treatment but I found that sometimes doing certain exercises prescribed by the physio do actually speed up the recovery. In this case however it’ s my spine and any mistake could cost me dearly. What would you recommend?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

The Medical Dictionary describes "lumbarization" as the "nonfusion of the first and second segments of the sacrum so that there is one additional articulated vertebra, the sacrum consisting of one fewer segment." Thus the mechanical integrity of your lower spine may at times be influenced adversely through actions such as squats. What you have actually experienced can be likened to an acute sprain. This can take a while to recover. Mild exercise can be beneficial - but "listen" to your body. STOP if you experience any discomfort or pain. Your doctor or pharmacist can assist with an anti-inflammatory tablet if necessary. If the discomfort persists - a chiropractor may help with appropriate treatment.

Posted by: jit | 2014-06-30

is there any best treatment of lumbarization of s1 please someone tell me. i realy thankfull to yours

Reply to jit
Posted by: M | 2009-01-06

LOL, I knew what lumbarization meant, I just wanted to fill you in because its hard to convey a problem just by writing a few lines. But thank you for your answer doc. I assumed that my weakest point (transition between lumbar and sacral region) would experience more stress than someone with sacral vertebrae completely fused but I couldn' t imagine that it could be that much worse. I' ve also never ever had a back problem even after almost 8 years of lifting weights. I just can' t figure out why, after having used an anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen for a while didn' t alleviate the problem. I also haven' t lifted weights for almost 2 months now.

Reply to M