Posted by: M | 2009-02-06

Lumbarization - continued from post 20

As I explained in my last post (20) I was diagnosed with lumbarization of the first sacral vertebrae. The orthopedic surgeon said that I would not have any problems when I get older and look after my back. What I don' t understand is, the disk between the lumbarized vertebrae and the sacrum shouldn' t be fully developed because they should have been fused. But now that they aren' t fused, will there not be more friction between the two vertebrae because of the non-existent disk? What happens when I get older? Will they eventually be fused via an operation to prevent them from rubbing against each other?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

This condition is NORMAL for you. The body adapts exceptionally well to such birth defects and in the long term, if not much movement is taking place in the affected area - a natural "fusion" may take place. The orthpaedic specialist is correct in his advice.