Posted by: carol | 2012-06-27

lumbar spine

i am a 59 year old female-my x rays show features of mild degenerative disc disease and degenerative spondylosis of the lumbar spine at the L4/5 and L5/S1levels-is this the reason for pain in my buttocks-right side when i sleep and wake at night-what does this mean-must i take medication and what vitamins or herbs can i take-anything else i can do

You are experiencing sciatica, due to nerve irritation. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix but you will have to consult a neurologist for an examination and treatment. Ibuprofen can alleviate your pain. Consulting a physiotherapist for a exercise regime to strengthen your back muscles, will also be beneficial. A heat compress before bed, will alleviate the muscle spasm and pain.