Question
Posted by: DLB | 2008/08/07

Lubricant

Hi everyone! Long time! How are you guys?

I just wanted to ask what lube you guys use? My boyfriend and I tried KY and the Durex ones but they seem to dry out and also make things a bit sensitive. What brand do you reccommend and where can I buy it?

Thanks guys!

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

:)

5
Posted by: Rade | 2008/08/07

Apologies for the double click.

Reply to Rade
Posted by: Rade | 2008/08/07

Oil based lubricants are shown to tear the small fibres of a condom and this would explain Jamie' s vaseline experience. But oil based lubricants do not dry out as easily and sure is the most pleasureful kind of lube recommended for partners who have been tested.
Water based lubricants like KY Jelly and Assegai, is safe with condoms.
De Swardt (2007) mentioned the use of egg white as a barrier safe substitute when one doesn' t have lube.

Reply to Rade
Posted by: Rade | 2008/08/07

Reply to Rade
Posted by: Jamie | 2008/08/07

I just finished a bottle of that Durex stuff in the purple bottle and have now moved on to Assegai. The two feel pretty similar to me, but I also found the Durex one dries out if exposed to the air. Under normal use it is fine, but it' s just when there is no action for a while it dries pretty quickly. It can help to keep a little water nearby. A few drops and things' ll be as slippery as you could need! The Durex one is also sweetish and my boyfriend says he likes the taste...

I' ve tried Vaseline in the past too. Although it gets the job done, is cheap and doesn' t dry out, it also tends to make a hell of a mess. Also, it once caused the condom to break which was very worrying, considering 26% of South Africans have HIV/AIDS. I' d stay away from Vaseline, especially if you' re having safe sex. And safe sex is always a better option. I discovered that the guy I was living with and sharing my life with for 3 years was having multiple affairs on the side. Thankfully we usually practised safe sex together and I wasn' t infected by anything he may have picked up when he was being unfaithful (we' ve since broken up and are no longer having sex together).

KY is also ok, but I wasn' t very impressed with it. I' d stick to Assegai and Durex, but might also try the ID Glide mentioned above one day...when I' m feeling a bit wealthier!

Reply to Jamie
Posted by: Johnny_Bravo | 2008/08/07

Hey DLB,

Maybe try Assegai...waterbased, about R60 for 125ml. Or ID Glide, about R100 from adult shops. Personal favourite is ID Glide Millenium range - silicone based, safe and really, really nice. Feels like velvet and doesn' t dry out - goes for about R140 for 100ml.

Cheers!

Reply to Johnny_Bravo