Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/06/30

LRQ pain in a child

Dear Doc

My 9y old son started with a tummy ache in the night about a week ago. He vomitted once and was very fatigued. The following morning the pain seemed to be in his right lower quadrant. He did not have a fever and he still had an appetite. He said it was sore to sneeze and cough. I thought it might be appendics so I took him to my dr. She examined him and said the pain is right on the McBurney (or something like that) spot but in the absence of a fever and if he is still eating lets wait and see. The following few days the pain went away except that he said his cocyxs is sore (he did not fall) then after two days he was tender on the tummy on the LRQ to the touch again. He still has no fever and is still eating. Today the tenderness is worse and I heard him say his bum is sore to his friend. He did not eat much today " (but did eat) and he seemed a little pale and subdued. I phoned the dr again and she wants to do some tests tomorrow. Can you perhaps tell me what else it could possibly be? He seems symptomless except for the touch pain and cocxycs pain. (No bowel problems beiong experienced)

Hallo BMJ
An easy way to determine if it could be appendicitis is to do a white blood cell count - if high, one should maybe consider doing a sonar of the area. Pain in that area could be infection in the bowel, a urinary tract infection or kidney stone.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/30

Hallo BMJ