Posted by: Gesiggie | 2010-09-11

LPR and 2 probe test

Hi Doc,

Thank you for answering my question so much care. Really appreciate your imput.

The symptoms that you have described of redness and swolen, etc. is exactly what ENT said. ENT suggested that I go for another test: 2 probe 24hr study (apparently it measures more than PH and has 2 probes, where the previous test only measured PH and 1 probe close to LES).

I had my Gallbladder removed in 2006 (also had ERCP afterwards as there was a blockage).

Will the 2 probe 24hr test be necessary to treat my problem? I was also told that my medical aid (Discovery) will also only pay the Lansoloc for up to 6 months and that I need a Nissen Fund. operation to fix hypo-valve.

Will surgery help and is it necessary? what is the longterm complications if I don''t have the op and if I keep on having symtoms? I am 35yrs old.

Thanks Doc,

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Gesiggie

I can not give an opinion regarding Nissen procedures, but no decision by your medical aid should force you into having surgery. If you are controlled on medication, it may be acceptable to stay on that. You need the opinion of a Gatroenterologist and/or a surgeon with experience in this procedure, as no surgical management comes without possible risks and side effects. Regarding longterm effects of the medication, you should discuss this with your gastroenterologist.
Regarding your reflux, it is understood that the diagnosis can be confirmed on appropriate measurement. This test is referred to as an impedance test, and it sounds as if this is what your doctor is suggesting. It is a very accurate way of making the diagnosis.
From your history I believe you will benefit greatly from this test, as your decision making may rely on the outcome of this.