Posted by: SAM | 2009-05-04

Lower/upper back pain

Good day, for the past two months I have experienced back pain in different regions of my back. Sometimes it' s at the sides of of lower back, sometimes in the centre. Other times it' s at the side of upper back, sometimes in the centre. If I sit and bend forward, my chin almost touching my chest, it is really excrutiating leaving me breathless. I don' t know it I should bend forward or lean backwards to alleviate the pain. I don' t know how to sit, lie down. It' s better if I stand up. Two months ago I picked up a heavy box, two weeks later I had back pain. I went to my GP who said I might have strained my back. He gave me Cataflam which helped a little, but the pain is back. Sometimes it feels if my spine is painful too, the part between my shoulder blades. I don' t want to be on pain killers or muscle relaxers to often. What should I do? Go back to my GP for another check-up? Does it sound serious? Please help, for my discomfort is really taking its toll on my. Regards

Expert ImageChiroDoc

You have certainly placed some excessive strain on your back. Anti-inflammatories may help the soft tissue inflammation - but it sound as if you possibly have a mechanical involvement which needs some expert attention. Consult a chiropractor ASAP - he/she may require an x/ray as well - A thorough physical examination should reveal the reason for your discomfort. The chiropractor should be able to help you - if there are more serious implications he/she will refer you to another specialist.

Posted by: cheryl | 2009-08-14

I have had 3 major back operation in 2008,however I am still suffering with severe and chronic back pains, also with bad pain in my right leg which causes my leg to drag and is extremely painful if I walk , sit or stand for too long. Lameness in the middle toe on my left hand foot and constant throbbing in the arch of my left foot .I have been off work - booked off as permanent disability, but I have had no improvement at all after all the surgery' s. My doctor has now informed me that this pain is all in my HEAD !!! I have had severe depression due to the trauma, he says it is impossible to suffer with depression due to a back injury.I have had a second opinion and it has been said that the damage I have to the nerve is irriversable, my doctor says it is all in my HEAD!!! and just about threw me out of his office, told me to get a walking stick and live with it...I have bad bowel movements where my stomach just runs and I am unable to control it, my Doctor says impossible my back has nothing to do with my bowel movements. The last Scan showed root compression on L4 Level, but my doctor dissagrees with the results - What can I do,? I am at the end of my life line here and the pain is so bad..can this really and truely be all in my mind ?and if so who can I turn to for help.How can I get my doctor to believe me that what I am going through is real.

Reply to cheryl