Question
Posted by: Kristen | 2011/02/16

Lower Right Hand Abdominal Pain - Not Appendicitis

Last week Monday evening, I went to bed with some slight cramps, I woke about 3am with severe diahorrea and bad cramps below my navel. It moved to the right hand side at which point I woke hubby up to take me to the hospital, fearing that it was appendicitis. At around 5am, I started throwing up. The Dr. did blood tests and confirmed I had a bacterial infection. I was referred to a Vascular &  General Surgeon at Olivedale. He did some tests, including an ultrasound &  abdominal CT with contrast. He confirmed that it was not appendicitis. On doing more blood tests, it was found that the infection was worse that earlier that day and I was admitted to hospital. The next morning, the blood tests came back normal and I was discharged.

My question is this - I still feel nauseous when I eat and I still have the pain on the right hand side, its more of a dull ache now than cramps - Could the CT have missed something? What else could this be and should I go back to the Dr?

I am having no other symptons other than nausea and the ache, no fever etc.

Thanks!

Dear Kristin
Just see your GP again - ask him to check for infection in the urinary tract (with urine test), in the ovarian tube (with gyne examination) and to send a sample of stool to the lab to exclude a residual colon infection.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/16

Dear Kristin