Posted by: Carol | 2009-06-23

lower leg apin in children at night

My 6 yr old son has had recurring severe front lower leg pains for the last +/- 2 years it does not occur every night just every now and then, but the pain is so intense he cries for up to an hour beofre falling back to sleep, and then sometimes it occurs more than once a night. it then goes away for a few months and then returns. he has also had complaints of a constant soar stomach for about the last year i do not know if it is related? is this normal growing pains or is it something more serious?

Dear Carol
It is probably "growing pains" but you need to first exclude other possible dangerous diseases like bone marrow disease or cancer - an x/ray and blood test can do this. Kids can also get peptic ulcers, especially if they are stressed or highly strung. Please take him to a pediatrician. If no problems with the legs are found - a hot water bottle and Ponstan works well for growing pains in the legs. In the mean time try Gelumen suspension for the stomach pain.
dr Bets

Posted by: Briit | 2009-06-23

I would also like to hear the answer, my gp said i should give my child slow mag fizies the berry flavour, not sure if i am suppose to give everyday or what because like you say it occurs at random times,mostly in my 5y old daught when she has had a really busy day playing a lot. They seem SO painful though! what else can you recommend dr. If it is growi pains at what age do they subside, also when it is very cold and the blankets come off her, she seems to have pains in legs more.

Reply to Briit