Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/12/02

Lower back pain &  runnin

I experience lower back pain only during running. Otherwise no back pain in general. Could it be something with equip/technique or something bodily?

Tx

Hi Sam

I doubt equipment - it's probably related to the impact, on the spine (the forces are quite high). Or it could be caused by the hamstrings, which are obviously active during running.

I'd say you could try two things: One is to run for a while on softer surfaces, like gravel, grass or even tar (if you're running on concrete now) and see what it does. The second is to strengthen and stretch your hamstrings regularly and see what that does. Also, if you can, a Pilates class once or twice a week might be really helpful, something to strengthen the core. That might provide extra support for the spine, which might be what is needed.

As for equipment, only the shoes and maybe you're running in very hard, compact shoes, and a softer pair of special running shoes would help? I think this will be less effective than a short change in surface and some strength training.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/05

Hi Sam

Reply to fitnessdoc