Posted by: Sam | 2010-11-29

Lower back pain - 3rd trimester

Dear Doc

I am 33 weeks pregnant. I have extreme lower back pain. Is it safe to apply arnica gel? Or what else may I apply?

Many thanks

Yes that's okay. Not much is absorbed. You could also try a hot water bottle in the area.

Posted by: Purple | 2010-11-30

try doing pelvic floor excercises as back pain in pregnancy is often caused by weak pelvic floor muscles.

You rather shouldn''t use arnica during pregnancy as it can cause excessive bleeding during the birth. You can however take arnical capsules afterwards to speed up healing.

Perhaps just ask your pharmacist which rub you can use to ease the pain, otherwise visit a chiropractor for a massage and a click - the relief is instant.

Reply to Purple