Question
Posted by: Steve | 2012-03-12

Lower Back Pain

My wife was diagnosed with kidney infection last year and was referred to a general Hospital.The infection was confirmed and treated.We also mentioned to a specific doctor that she is suffering from genealogical problems.

We we''re then referred to a Gynecologist at a general Hospital.

The doctor found that there''s was nothing to be concerned of and she was discharged.

Couple of weeks later she again was complaining of severe abdominal pain and rectal bleeding.The private doctor then referred her to general Hospital for an colonoscopy.

The procedure was done and yet again nothing was found wrong.Following day she was experiencing abdominal pain and was seen at Groote Schuur Hospital which prescribed some pain meds.

The problem that we sitting with now is that,she has been suffering with severe lower back and abdominal pain for the past 3-4 months.This happens 3-5 days before she gets her period.The pain is so severe that she can hardly walk and rely on pain tablets.
She had 2 C-sections and is 29 years old.She''s also complaining that she can''t lay on her stomach as it feels like somethings moving and kicking in her tummy,this even thought she had her period and negative pregnancy test.

I urgently need advice on what to do regarding this matter.

Steve

I suggest that you consult a general surgeon for a possible laparoscopy (a camera is inserted into the abdominal cavity to examine the intestines for pathology). It is possible that her pain is due to fibrotic bands that has formed after her c-sections. Depending on the findings, spesific treatment will be given.

1
Posted by: XXX | 2012-03-13

Steve I commend you for taking such an interest in your wife''s condition. I have had 4 children and 3 c-sections. One of them being for major surgery. And then 2 mths later I was pregnant and had an emergency c-section 7 mths later to deliver.

I have the same problem. The pain is so bad sometimes that I struggle to get up after sitting down for a while. I wish my hubby was like you. I live off pain killers these days as I am always in pain. He just says you have medical aid so sort yourself out.

Please always show this concern for your wife. Having someone support you, makes a difference when you are ill, and if your wife needs any special medical care or surgery, she is going to need such support.

What can I say, I went home from major surgery and the very next morning I was up making breakfast.

Reply to XXX