Posted by: Graham | 2011-07-12

Lower back pain

Dear Sir,
Three months ago I underwent an operation to remove my left kidney due to it being overwhelmed with cancer.

Since then I have suffered a gradually increasing ache which is now a severe lower back pain centralized in the left sciatic region, but extending down the left leg. The pain is so severe that I can now hardly walk.

I was taking pain-killers but they have reduced my appetite and am now taking homeopathic relaxants and anti-inflammatories. Xrays have not shown anything that has been of concern to either my GP or the urology-surgeon.

My local homeopath reckons that a nerve has become trapped in the lumbar region and that she can begin a course of gentle manipulation with a set of exercises.

Therefore I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Sincerely, Graham Harling

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Graham,
As your imaging results "have not shown anything that has been of concern", I would suggest you consult with a registered physical therapist such as an osteopath to try and determine the cause of your severe lower back pain.
A first consultation with the Osteopath will include a detailed case history leading to a discussion of your present symptoms. This hour long session will look at the following:

a) how your symptoms began
b) factors affecting your condition
c) health problems
d) physical trauma
e) medication
f) surgeries
g) lifestyle habits
This is facilitated through accompanying clinical information such as medical reports, x-rays and prescriptions.

A physical examination is then conducted to evaluate the body’s biomechanics (structure, posture and physical movements). If necessary, further investigations such as x-rays, blood tests, MRI scans may be requested.

Diagnosis, clinical findings and an appropriate treatment plan with projected recovery time frames will be explained and discussed and additional advice on exercise, nutrition, ergonomics and lifestyle may be suggested to facilitate recovery and optimal health.