Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2010/07/05

Lower back pain

Dear Doc, I have gained 12kg since the birth of my baby in 2008. She will be 2 in Aug and sadly I have not lost the weight. She was a heavy baby and, although has lost some weight, is still heavy and currently weighs 15kg. Since the birth of my child I have suffered on and off with lower backache. I cannot attribute this to anything and was wondering whether the fact that the weight that still remains could cause this backache. I used to weigh 70kg and now weigh 82kg.

Dear Gillian
While it would be most desirable for you and your daughter to lose weight and such weightloss may help for your back pain, it is always essential that you have a medical examination if you suffer from chronic backache. Please have your gp examine you thoroughly to see if you have damaged your back or if there is another reason for this pain in your back (kidneys, or uterus, etc). Picking up a heavy child can strain the muscles in the back too, so discuss this with the dr when you go for your checkup.
I hope that you and your lassie can lose some weight and that you can pinpoint what is causing the backache.

1

Dear Gillian