Question
Posted by: Cheryl | 2010/06/21

Lower Back pain.

I have had 4 Major back operations in the last 2 years. Fusion of L4/L5 with interspace disk.Three months ago I had the right periformis muscle lifted to release the sciatic nerve.My Neurosurgeon then refered me for an MRI .The MRI results showed that there are multiple pelvic phleboliths.Also a pseudarthrosis between L5 Transverse process and the sacral ala. Please could you explain this to me ? Thanking you.

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Cheryl,

Phleboliths are masses, deposits or growths which develop in the wall of a vein and are composed of calcium or lime. They are common in the pelvic area and are stationary and harmless but can indicate the presence of more dangerous conditions or diseases. Most adults have phleboliths and are unaffected by them because they are symptomless and their presence is usually only known after an individual has undergone X-ray imaging related to other health issues.

A pseudoarthrosis is nonosseous union of bone fragments of a fractured bone due to inadequate immobilization leading to existence of the 'false joint' that gives the condition its name. In this case your lumbarsacral joint.

You need to speak with your neurosurgeon for more detail.

1
Posted by: osteopath | 2010/06/23

Hello Cheryl,

Reply to osteopath