Posted by: Connie | 2009-06-01

Lower Back Pain

I have a family history of back pain but my symptoms have usually been mostly mild. However, these past couple of month, I have been experiencing severe lower back pain which doesn' t clear up. Sometimes the pain goes into my right hip. I can' t lie flat on my back and even a slight angle (eg. when I am in bed reading) hurts my back. I have a desk job so am sitting most of the day, but I do try and sit upright and also use a footstool. I have tried acupuncture but it only worked for a short time. I used to go to the chiro but that gets quite expensive. Could there be something more " sinister"  to the pain in my back - should I get it checked out by an orthopod?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Dear Connie - this is a typical chiropractic case and your medical aid should reimburse for such care. The ergonomics of your office is naturally very important and correct seating, desk height etc all play a role. The sedentary life is often the "seat of low back pain" ............ Consult your chiropractor for advice on these aspects. A good idea too to have your low back x/rayed for possible further causes.