Posted by: C | 2009-02-25

Lower back pain

I' m a 39 year old female and have been suffering from lower back pain (mostly on the left side) for a week now, it radiates from my mid back down to my buttock and into my left leg. It feels like it is the muscle as I can run my finger down the painful part from the middle of my back to the end of my buttocks. It does not bother me when I sit or stand, but when I bend, turn my body to the left or sleep on my right hand side, it is quite painful. I have been exercising 6-7 days a week for the last two months (mostly squats, a lot of stretching, push-ups and sit-ups - including leg raises) - no weight training, more muscle strength training. I have not discontinued my exercising, but I' m doing about half of what I usually do, totally abandoning the leg raises as I think this is what caused the injury? It usually feels better after some exercise, but is especially painful when I get up in the morning and when I' ve sat at my desk at work for a while. Should I consult a doctor or could it just be a strained muscle? Can I continue with my exercise program ?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

You definitely need to see a chiropractor. There is some irritation on a nerve root in the lower spine. Go slow with your exercises at this stage as you may further irritate the condition and hamper response to treatment. Your chiropractor will advise you accordingly.

Posted by: dolla | 2009-04-07

I do alot of exercise and got up one morning and could not walk due to pain in my lower back,
Xtrays said no problem and had it for 3 weeks.
Do alot of stretching and going to physio
Got acupuncture today and hopeful it will help.
Why pain and never had a problem and pain is going in my buttock and hamstring.

Reply to dolla