Posted by: Lolly | 2012-03-13

Lower back &  abdominal pain

Hi doc,

I have had lower back pain for some weeks now. I also have this pain in the lower left side of the abdomen. It sometimes feels as if the left side of my hip is very painful as well.

Most of yesterday and the whole of last night I had bad back pains and terrible abdominal pains. I was wondering if maybe my period was on its way and I was feeling this pain. But I am only expecting a period around the 23rd March, so still time yet for period pains. But the pain was bad and I felt that even sitting made it hurt more.

My lower back is sore now. I can bend forward without any pains, but the dull pain is there. The abdominal pains have subsided for now.

I went to the gp &  he gave me voltaren. He also prescribed antibiotics, which gave me thrush. I was wondering if the severe abdominal pains were due to the thrush.

Dr I am also tired all the time and I often can''t fall asleep at night. I recently donated blood. I was a regular donor a few years back. I fell pregnant in 2010, gave birth to triplets in 2010 and lost a child in 2011. I know that I could just be tired too. But this fatigue is constant, even if I have 8 hrs sleep. Getting back to blood donation, I was so totally exhausted a few hrs later. I just wanted to sleep. I didn''t even have the energy to eat or even wash a plate. When I say I was drained, I really felt totally out of it. I have never ever felt like this after a donation anytime before.

Dr what do i do. How do I find out why I am feeling so tired all the time and how do I stop this lower back pains?

Your lower back pain can be due to a gynaecological cause, like endometriosis or chronic follicle cysts. I therefore, suggest that you consult a gynaecologist for an examination and ultrasound. The yeast infection will not be the cause for your lower back and abdominal pain.

There are numerous causes for fatigue, which include depression, anemia, diabetes, hypothyroidism, chronic disease, chronic infections, vitamin deficiency etc and you will therefore, have to have blood tests done. The gynaecologist will also be able to assist you with the blood tests.

In light of you not being able to fall asleep at night, you may suffer from sleep deprivation, causing your symptoms. You can ask your GP for a prescription for a product like Trepiline to take at night for a period of one month. This will assist you with getting a good sleeping pattern.